Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Zorya - Primeval


 English

 

Well produced but I'm not into it - 55%

Before I can share my opinion about this EP, I have to say that I'm not a very black metal/post-black metal fan, but this case is different because a personal philosophy is that you always need to be open to a different genres and music styles independently if you're not a big fan of X or Y genre. In this case, "Primeval" is the first production I've ever heard of post-black metal and unfortunately, is not my kind of music (at least, taking this production as a reference to the genre). Why? Let me explain it.
 
In a very personal way, I always want to start with the "bad things" first because I can give my opinion about this, but later on, I can say the positive things about the production as a way to express that not everything is bad and there are things that are very well done so, this EP will not be the exception, I'll start with the bad things first.
 
First of all, and I think this is the most relevant aspect of this production that makes me give a bad/neutral review, is that the music is extremely monotonous. I got tired of hearing the same riff over and over again for several minutes and I have to say that variety will help the listener to get hooked to your music. Obviously, I know some repetitive riffs could be interesting, but as an advice, don't abuse of this because your music could bore the listener and get the worng idea of your music.
 
Also, another thing that I didn't enjoy at all was the black metal voice of Sara. I know it's black metal and I know vocals needs to be black metal-like screams with a harsh tone, but on this production, the voice didn't fit at all the music as expected for a black metal band, the lot of echo in the voice, in my opinion, is not well fitted with the music.
 
Now, I'll share the good things about this EP that I have to say, I got surprised with the two last songs of this production. "Yarilo" and "Nature" are the most black metal songs on this EP and I have to say that those actually sounds really good, especially because they are more "metal" that the previous ones. Additionally, Sara's clean voice on "Nature" was a very big surprise for me because, this time, fitted perfectly with the music, giving a very interesting ambient to the music.
 
In terms of production, mastering, mixing, etcetera; I have to say that they did a very good job here. All instruments are well recorded (including the voices) and no instrument opaque each other, you can perfectly hear the guitars, bass and drums accordingly without making any effort from your part to distinguish which instrument is being played and which one is not.
 
Finally, I can say that I didn't enjoy this EP as much as I desired, but hopefully, if they can produce more music in the future by adding a little bit of variety on their music, they could get a very well produced music style that can be enjoyed, and with this, I don't want you to get me wrong, at the end, this is just my opinion based on what I heard, but maybe if you're more into post-black metal, this could be a very good/excellent release for you, but is not my case and this doesn't mean this is a poor or very bad release though.
 
 

Español

 

 Bien producido pero no es lo mío - 55%

Antes de compartir mi opinión acerca de este EP, tengo que decir que no soy muy fan del black metal/post-black metal, pero este caso es diferente porque una filosofía personal que tengo es que usted siempre debe ser abierto a escuchar diferentes géneros y estilos de música independientemente si no es muy fan de X o Y género. En este caso, "Primeval" es la primer producción que he escuchado del género post-black metal  y desafortunadamente, no es mi estilo de música (al menos, tomando esta producción como referencia al género). ¿Por qué? Déjenme explicarlo.

De una manera muy personal, siempre me gusta empezar con "las cosas malas" porque puedo dar mi opinión al respecto pero, luego puedo decir las cosas positivas acerca de la producción como manera de expresar que no todo es tan malo y que hay cosas que están muy bien hechas, por lo que este EP no va a ser la excepción y empezaré con las cosas malas primero.

Primero que todo, y pienso que es el aspecto más relevante en esta producción y que me hace darle una mala/neutral reseña, es que la música es extremadamente monótona. Me cansé de escuchar el mismo riff una y otra vez por varios minutos y tengo que decir que la variedad ayudará al que escucha a engancharse a su música. Obviamente, Se que algunos riffs repetitivos pueden ser interesantes, pero como consejo, no abusen de esto porque su música puede aburrir al que escucha y crearse una idea errónea de su música.

También, otra cosa que no difruté del todo es la voz black metal de Sara. Se que es black metal y se que las voces necesitan tener esos gritos black metal y un tono duro, pero en esta producción, la voz no encaja del todo en la música como se espera de una banda de black metal, el montón de eco en la voz, en mi opinión, no encaja bien con la música.

Ahora, voy a compartir las cosas buenas acerca de este EP y tengo que decir que me sorprendí con las últimas dos canciones de esta producción. "Yarilo" y "Nature" fueron las canciones más black metal de este EP y tengo que decir que estas suenan bastante bien, especialmente porque son más "metal" que las canciones anteriores. Adicionalmente, la voz limpia de Sara on "Nature" fue una gran sopresa para mi porque, esta vez, encajó perfecto con la música, dándole un ambiente interesante.

En términos de producción, masterizado, mezcla, etcétera; tengo que decir que ellos hicieron un excelente trabajo aquí. Todos los instrumentos se grabaron bien (incluyendo las voces) y ningún instrumento opaca al otro, usted puede escuchar perfectamente las guitarras, el bajo y la batería adecuadamente sin hacer ningún esfuerzo de su parte para distinguir cuál instrumento está sonando y cuál no.

Finalmente, puedo decir que no disfruté de este EP como pensaba pero, si ellos pudieran  producir más música en el futuro agregando un poco más de variedad, ellos pueden obtener una música muy bien producida que puede ser disfrutada, y con esto, no quiero que me malinterpreten, al final, esta es solo mi opinión basada en lo que escuché, pero tal vez si usted está más metido en el post-black metal, este puede ser un buen/excelente EP para usted, pero no es mi caso y no esto no significa que que esta es una pobre o muy mala producción.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment